History & Symbols
Phi Sigma Sigma's original badge was the sphinxhead, featuring sapphire eyes on a gold base bearing our Greek letters in blue enamel. In 1951, the Fraternity introduced the jeweled badge, a sphinxhead superimposed on a gold pyramid with three sapphires in each corner. Both badges remain in use today.
To further identify a member and indicate the bond between the sorority and chapter, a guard pin (the Greek letter(s) identifying the chapter) is attached to the badge by a small, gold linked chain.
The badge is worn by all duly initiated members over or near the heart. The guard pin is worn lower than the badge. The badge is never to be sold, given or loaned to any person who is not a duly initiated member of Phi Sigma Sigma.
THE SPHINX MAGAZINE
First published in 1923, its purpose was to bring Phi Sigma Sigma’s widely dispersed chapters still closer together into a true international sisterhood. The Sphinx provided a communication link throughout many years.
The complete collection of The Sphinx magazines are available in our digital archives.